Saturday, August 9, 2008

So many changes...Life goes on....

I can't believe that it's been 3 months since my last post...Time just goes by so fast and things change, just as fast...The summer has flown by and now I have to start planning for the cold winter that we are accustomed to, here in Indiana..But, for today, I am going to enjoy the beautiful weather and sunshine and the beautiful yard that my husband has been creating all season..He has set up humming bird feeders in front of my window where I paint..and has planted beautiful flowers that attract the humming birds and butterflies...and our lawn has never looked so beautiful..Let me go back a bit....In January, my husband lost his job, of 27 yrs..to a company buy out..He has been a concrete driver all these years and is going to be 58 yrs old this month..He has been searching and putting in applications in hundreds of places..Of course, he started with the most logical employers..concrete plants...but with the economy the way it is and the housing market the way it is, they are not hiring..in fact, some are laying off..So, he has put in applications in the work place that he has never dreamed of..The funny thing is..he has not even got a 'nibble' of interest from employers..So, I have had to return to the work force..I have gone back to work at my mom's convenice store, that I ran for 17 yrs..but quit last year due to stress..Now, the kicker in all this..my mom sold the store in January of this year..so, now I am working for a new employer, making half of what I use to..BUT....I am thankful to have a job, close to home, and the stress level is way down..My husband has taken over all the 'chores' of running a home and yard and taking care of all of our animals..We raise chihuahuas, dobermans and pot bellied pigs...I have found that my husband is a better cook than I am..He cleans better than I.....He takes care of the yard better than I....Let me also say, I have found out that I have been such a control freak all these years...and when I 'let it go' and gave up the 'reins' and let him, I am at more peace than I have been in our 31 yrs of marriage...Let me go back a little farther....About 2 years ago, I read on one of my favorite rose artist's 'me' page about how her husband did all the housework so that all she had to do was paint..I even read it out loud to my husband...lol...I thought..'How WONDERFUL' that would be...JUST TO PAINT!!..Well, be careful what you wish for..lol..Okay, so I do have a job that I work 40 hrs a week..but, now, all I have to do is that job and paint..He has even started priming all my items that I paint..and he does a wonderful job..(it was that 'control' thing again..) Since we live in the country and have a HUGE barn, he has even built me shelves and an area to store my items and set himself up a work area to prime my pieces..I have even opened up an Ebay store to be able to list my items and free up some more time..and give me more time to paint..It's really strange..I always thought that after raising 5 kids, and 2 yrs from paying off our mortgage..that this was 'our time'...Well, it IS our time..even with him losing his job, and me going back to work, and having to refinance our home (for 20 yrs to get the payment down low enough) I am more peaceful than I have ever been...Life is good...it does go too quickly..but it is good...My husband will continue to look for a job, but in the mean time..he has never been so relaxed and stress free in his life..He has worked hard and it's good to see him enjoying each day and doing things that he loves...yes, even the cooking...lol...

1 comment:

Devonia said...

Hugs, Teresa Lynn. You were missed. My heart went out to you when you described your husband's efforts to find another job, any job, in a poor economy with so many of our jobs going to other countries. I am also a little jealous of the shelves he built you and your beautifully primed stuff just waiting for you. Good to have you back blogging.... Bless you and your family.

Devonia

handpainted items

About Me

My photo
I am a self taught artists and love to paint on anything..mostly found items, vintage,...I have done clients homes in murals, faux finishes..ect..Painting is such a passion and I am not afraid to paint on anything..floors, ceilings, countertops..I have painted my countertops to look like slate, or stone..my floors to look like tiles,..I have painted my husband's Harley (tank) with 'End of the Trail' and feathers, I painted the stock of his shotgun to look like mahagany wood..and the list goes on and on..Anything, in my opinion, can be transformed or created with paint...My passion is painting roses in the shabby chic style, but I also do tole painting, Americana, Roosters and hens, teddy bears, and on and on..

Some of my handpainted pieces

Some of my handpainted pieces
These pieces are some of my favorites...

Handpainted Vintage French Phones

Handpainted Vintage French Phones
view more at http://www.picturetrail.com/teresa_h